Bower Building Refurbishment
- Client / University of Glasgow
- Location / Glasgow
- Sector / specialist
- Value / £7m
- Status / Completed
- Role / Architect
ApproachThe Bower building on Glasgow University's west end campus was opened in 1901 to provide world class botanical facilities. In October 2001 the Grade B listed building was severely damaged by fire and with consideration of various options, a decision was made to redevelop the building on the basis of a strategy which involved retention of all the existing stone facades, the removal of the whole of the damaged interior, and the construction of a completely new building within the retained facades.
The new interior provides modern high quality research and teaching accommodation and features a central atrium space extending from the ground floor up to a fully glazed roof lantern light located in a valley between the two main pitched roofs. This is the main focal point for the building, providing opportunities for informal contact among research staff and students.
Key FactsGross Floor Area: 3,665 sqm
Completion Date: November 2005